What's it all about?

I decided to write a blog following my training and triathlon season. For me, I have always participated in sports for as along as I can remember, whether it was being one of the only girls playing football with the boys, playing hockey at numerous clubs or running around cross country circuits in the pouring rain. This year I plan to work hard on my swimming, cycling and running in an effort to qualify for the World Championships in Triathlon and represent my age group. I hope that you enjoy my blog or rather my ramblings and feel free to comment.

Kerry X


Sunday 12 February 2012

Snow and training in extreme temperatures

Jimmy Robinson enjoys the -11 temperatures!
Rutland saw some significant snowfall and extreme temperatures this week. It began last Saturday night with a bet on whether the snow would come, which it did (and I was instantly 35 better off- thanks Will!). Although not as much snow as last year, it decided to stick around. Then overnight temperatures over the week saw much of it freeze leaving our pavements and roads like skating rinks. Many of my friends and I spent time on the treadmills, indoor bikes and the swimming pool which can be terribly boring is if were not were for interesting sessions!
Most of my week has been about keeping consistent with my training and Tuesday saw a 1km time trial in the pool. Managing to take 40 seconds off my previous time of 17:15 to swim 16:34 was pretty amazing. It just goes to show that an increase in fitness and time spent getting your pacing right pays off.- so thanks Mary and Stamford Tri :)
I want to go even faster in four weeks time at the next TT, but that will take much more work to take time off!
I also got to enjoy the delights of aquajogging, which is seriously good for you if you are injured and just very good for you in general as it helps with your core. It did amuse me slightly that there were 6 of us in the pool on Friday night bobbing up and down in a circle for over 15 minutes not really getting anywhere. That is the only real frustration, as you don't seem to do many miles, but the next day your muscles certainly feel the effects.
After more snow on Thursday and a real deep freeze of -16 on Friday night, my plan for Saturday fully depended on the weather. Myself and a couple of friends made plans to cycle around Rutland Water on mountain bikes, this being a great alternative to the road bikes which wouldn't be coming out of their hiding places unless being put on the turbo trainer!
I layered up, and heading out of the door yesterday morning, I couldn't quite believe how cold it was. My face was frozen and toes began to hurt almost instantaneously.
Somehow I managed to keep on the bike most of the way to meet my friends, although I did come off and give myself a great bruise on the shin. Having met my friends, it was funny to spot that my water bottle has already started to freeze up.

Setting off in the fog we cycled through the snow giggling most of the way and finding it a real test of fitness to get up small rises with snow covered tyres. Our feet were the main topic of conversation, although we also discussed races and training this week being heavily disrupted.
The point where I took my photo of Jimmy, he decided to test the temperature, a balmy -11! With the freezing fog, it certainly took our breath away.
The ride home was probably quicker than I cycled out, probably as I wanted to get back and seriously defrost my toes and waterbottle which was now a solid brick of juice. (Which reminds me to tell you that you should never try to warm up your toes quickly, as I can tell you that it was extremely painful to do so!)
Despite the cold, it was a fantastic way of staving off the indoor blues and really made me feel appreciative of the beauty of where I live. If you ever get a chance to come to Rutland Water, you really should. The roads are pretty good for cycling, the path around the reservoir is really great for running and cycling and in the summer the sailing and windsurfing is pretty epic too.

So for today with snow still on the ground and ice still threatening to freeze my toes, I have opted for an indoor 90 minute turbo session with a film on DVD at the ready. However the weathermen have reassured us that the thaw is on the way- confirmed by Will on his way to work that there was no ice on the cars this morning, so suggested going out on the bike outside. Despite the temperature having risen slightly, it has probably only just got above freezing, which is still not quite warm enough for me just yet!

Have no fear fellow triathletes, the longer nights and warmer weather is only just around the corner, lets see what March and April brings us!

No comments:

Post a Comment