What's it all about?

I decided to write a blog following my training and triathlon season. For me, I have always participated in sports for as along as I can remember, whether it was being one of the only girls playing football with the boys, playing hockey at numerous clubs or running around cross country circuits in the pouring rain. This year I plan to work hard on my swimming, cycling and running in an effort to qualify for the World Championships in Triathlon and represent my age group. I hope that you enjoy my blog or rather my ramblings and feel free to comment.

Kerry X


Tuesday 20 March 2012

Crash Week Part 1

Another busy week of work and training, the time is flying by and now I have completed around 22 weeks of training since Will began coaching me!
I have to admit that I am feeling a lot fitter and leaner than I ever have (although I could still lose a bit more on the rear end!) and am really enjoying training. Running has been a regular occurrence now for around 3-4 weeks and I am smashing out 15-20 km of running a week which is great considering I wasn't even running in January.
This week for me is Crash Week, or train hard and die week, or push to your limits week....... lots of different names for essentially the same thing. Will and I both took a few days off together to train together and to essentially have a big block of training. This involves lots of sessions, lots of eating and lots of wearing my Compression Sport calf guards to recover!
Yesterday's sessions included a 40km easy bike ride, 6 km running intervals (hard then easy then hard again) and a final spin session in the gym. Sounds a lot on paper, but this was only an additional session to what I already do on Mondays when I am working. The skies were blue and the birds were singing for our morning's ride, however the headwind really did cut through me. Thanks to Will and Jono for sitting at the front and helping me along.
The running session involved a hot and sweaty gym with a treadmill. I have had to learn to love the treadmill these last few weeks and last night really tested our relationship. I was extremely keen to finish the session off outside, but stuck to my guns and help and encouragement from Will meant I finished the tough session, only to then walk through to the spinning room to be met with another instrument of tough love. The spin bike.

45 minutes of sweat pouring in your eyes, working around the handlebars and jumping off your seat, but it really helps! I have been spinning since I joined the gym pretty much, every Monday for the past 6 months or so. It is a great session, but really really hard work.
This torturous session will soon be ending for me with the nights being lighter and the mornings as well, so I have decided to end my gym membership at the end of the month and will start my bike sessions outside around Rutland Water instead.
Today's sessions are 6.5km run which I am really looking forward to and Mary's swim tonight. This will be followed up by a big meal with our regular swim session goers. :) (food time!)
Tomorrow will be a real test as Will has a session planned on the bike that will involve a hill and a 10 mile loop x 3. Oh dear me, this is going to be tough. Followed by a swim with Stamford Tri club. Thursday is another 40km bike ride, with a 2 mile hard run and simple weights session. Friday I am back to work, and a swim session only. The weekend will be back in the tough lane with rides, runs and swims galore.
I will report back later this week on how all of the sessions go. Quite simply this week will be a hard one, but I know that I really will enjoy it. I would advise that if you are going to put your body through this kind of test, then give it time to recover. And eat plenty of food! I am struggling to get back the calories recently, which is why it is important to eat, eat, eat and eat some more!

Next week I will be hopefully putting up an interview with Mary Hardwick. She is one of the reasons I have improved so much in the pool of late. If anyone has any pressing questions to ask Mary (soon to be fully qualified Level 3 Triathlon Coach and Inspire2tri founder) then please get in touch!

Happy training everyone:)

No comments:

Post a Comment