What's it all about?

I decided to write a blog following my training and triathlon season. For me, I have always participated in sports for as along as I can remember, whether it was being one of the only girls playing football with the boys, playing hockey at numerous clubs or running around cross country circuits in the pouring rain. This year I plan to work hard on my swimming, cycling and running in an effort to qualify for the World Championships in Triathlon and represent my age group. I hope that you enjoy my blog or rather my ramblings and feel free to comment.

Kerry X


Wednesday 17 October 2012

First day in Auckland

What a great 48 hours, or is that 60? Well whatever the time, so far things have been interesting! My flight to Auckland via Kuala Lumpur was pretty much split over two flights with the first flight trying very hard to sleep with a family of 6, four children, two sets of twins all under the age of 2 right next to me. I felt quite sorry for the parents, up until I saw that they were then getting on the next flight to Auckland, and wondered what they were doing taking four very young children all that way! This was amongst the anxiety of wondering whether my luggage and bike were going to make it to their final destination! 
Arriving at Auckland finally after 24 hours of flying and airplane food, I was relieved to finally collect my bag and bike and transfer to my hotel. It's been a real nice surprise and the hotel is really lovely. We have a kitchenette and rather large room with two beds and plenty of space to build the bike.
After settling down for bed around 2am and waking at 7.30am (body clock is a bit fudged!) then I decided to shower and build the bike before heading out to explore the streets to find some shops. I also had the best ever breakfast at a tiny theatre cafe which I certainly will try and visit again! Then it was time to proceed with my map and awesome navigation skills to try and find the team GB hotel. After only ten minutes walk, I arrived and sought out the info I needed before walking to the waterfront to find the main race HQ. 
Auckland have put on a real show and it is super organised! The expo is ok, and they are charging for grandstand tickets for the elite races, but other than that, the organisation is cracking. 
I have had such a great day as I am fortunate enough that some great friends from Chester triathlon club are also either out here competing, or are travelling and living in Auckland. Reunion over, it was time to support Kenny Begley in the aquathlon. With the wind whipping up and the clouds blowing out, it appeared to be a beautiful, if somewhat fresh day. 

However the blue skies were hiding the ferocious wind, as Kenny reported from his race experience that as soon as you hit the main body of water, the waves were really quite powerful. Something I will have to try out myself on Friday in the swim familiarisation. 
I am excited to race now, but having Dean and his partner Mandy, Kenny and Rachel here has been such an added bonus as I have now got plenty of other things to do and see with a tour guide! 
This evening was finished off at Rachel's home stay with a BBQ and overlooking the fantastic lake on which we are going to go paddle boarding next week after the race! I have also been fortunate enough that Dean and Mandy have a car so were able to drive me about! Tomorrow is a bike recce with Kenny and Dean, and I really must sign out now as tiredness is creeping into my bones! I think I have done pretty well and just hope that the jet lag doesn't catch me too soon! 




1 comment: